Our immune system is our natural defence system and is essential to our survival. It protects us from foreign invaders such as bacteria, viruses, parasites and fungi, all which have the potential to make us sick.
Our immune system has three lines of defence. The first line of defence includes surface barriers such as our skin and mucous membranes, that prevent pathogens from entering the body. If this first barrier is breached, our second line of defence responds rapidly. This involves non-specific cellular and molecular responses of the innate immune system and includes processes such as fever and inflammation. Our third line of defence is our adaptive immune system which is able to recognise specific pathogens. This part of our immune system has the ability to remember pathogens we’ve had with before.
The best thing we can do to support our immune system, is eat a wholefood diet rich in vegetables and fruit and to drink plenty of water. Regular exercise, restful sleep and managing stress is also essential for a strong immune system.
To support its function, here are a few tips:
- Eat a nutritious diet high in antioxidants
- Exercise regularly to encourage lymph to circulate
- Support healthy digestive function for normal absorption of essential nutrients
- Minimise exposure to chemicals in the home and in foods
- Focus on a diet of wholefoods
- Drink 2-3L of water each day
- ractice mindfulness, meditation, and other ways to relax to manage stress
- Immerse yourself in mother nature as much as possible
Occasionally some key immune supporting nutrients cannot be obtained from our everyday diet and a busy or stressful lifestyle may leave our immune system compromised. Luckily, there are some carefully formulated products available to help support your body’s defence and immune response.